Modified date: August 7th, 2022
Looking for an SEO tool similar to Semrush? Look no further!
In this article, we review the best Semrush alternatives and competitors in 2022.
In case you're not familiar, Semrush is an all-in-one software platform.
The platform has tools for SEO & PPC, content marketing, competitive research, and social media marketing.
Semrush offers a large feature set and competitive data that's hard to compete with. But, its starting price is pretty expensive for new marketers, freelancers, and startups.
Fortunately, there are some excellent alternatives on the market worth trying out.
Many of these alternatives offer lower-cost plans with similar all-in-one features. Features like keyword research, rank tracking, competitor analysis, site audits, and creating reports.
Top Semrush Alternatives Overview
Here is an overview of the top Semrush alternatives (described in detail below):
- SE Ranking – Low-cost all-in-one SEO platform.
- SEO PowerSuite – Complete desktop SEO software suite.
- Ahrefs – SEO toolkit for competitor analysis and keyword research.
- Moz Pro – Reputable SEO software with easy-to-understand reports.
- Surfer SEO – On-page SEO tool to optimize content, words, and phrases.
- Mangools – A simple, beginner-friendly set of SEO tools.
- Serpstat – An affordable and feature-rich SEO toolkit.
- Raven Tools – All-in-one SEO software with SEM reporting.
- SpyFu – Keyword research tools for SEO and Google Ads PPC.
Find out more about these top Semrush competitors and their features below.
What Are the Best Semrush Alternatives?
Based on reviewing and using many of these SEO tools for managing SEO campaigns, here are the 9 best Semrush alternatives:
1. SE Ranking
SE Ranking is one of the most affordable Semrush alternatives on the market.
The all-in-one SEO software offers many similar features. This includes keyword research, competitor analysis, rank tracking, website audits, and custom reports.
- Accurate keyword rank tracker with the option for daily rank tracking based on the plan. The keyword tracking tool includes impressive features. Analyze position history, SERP features, website search impression share, and share guest links.
- A large database of keyword and competitor data. Get average monthly searches, organic traffic keyword difficulty scores, and CPC data.
- Comprehensive website audit tools for identifying technical SEO issues and opportunities. Perform a detailed content analysis. Check links, meta descriptions, keyword density, page loading speeds, and more.
- Analyze backlinks including new and lost links. Uncover anchor text, organic search traffic estimates, and domain linking activity over time.
- Easy to use drag and drop report builder. Create and schedule customized and automated SEO reports for your sites or clients.
SE Ranking vs. Semrush
SE Ranking is one of the best Semrush alternatives for the feature set and price point.
Similar to Semrush, SE Ranking provides an accurate rank tracker and impressive competitor insights.
Spy on your competitors' top pages, rankings, organic traffic trends, and backlinks.
Ensure your site is in top shape with the site audit tools. Create quick, custom reports. You also get more user seats with each plan compared to Semrush.
While pricier, Semrush provides a bit more data with its keyword magic tool and backlink analytics.
You also get more in-depth page-level optimization tools and features. Semrush includes an on-page SEO checker, SEO writing assistant, and content template tools.
Pros & Cons
- Affordable all-in-one SEO software compared to Semrush.
- Flexible pricing model to adjust features and cost.
- Large database of keyword metrics and backlink data.
- Reliable rank tracker with solid tagging capabilities.
- A unique feature for monitoring page changes.
- Marketing plan feature for planning SEO efforts.
- Takes some time to learn and master the feature set.
- Sometimes limited data for low-volume, long-tail, or local keywords.
SE ranking pricing starts as low as $18.70 per month with a yearly subscription.
SE Ranking Offer: 14-Day Free Trial
SEO PowerSuite is a suite of desktop SEO software offered as a bundle or separately.
The software suite includes tools for performing website audits, keyword research, rank tracking, link building, and competitor analysis.
Downloading is required to use the software. SEO PowerSuite is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Perform a complete SEO audit based on dozens of errors related to website structure and technical considerations. Check for broken links, HTML code issues, duplicate content, page indexability, and content optimization factors.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of competitors and backlinks with one of the largest backlink indexes on the web. Inspect backlink profiles and link quality based on more than 50 different factors.
- Track unlimited keyword rankings across major search engines with the rank tracker tool. Schedule automatic ranking checks and compare positions alongside competitors' sites. See SERP features and view organic traffic data.
- In-depth keyword data based on 19 different keyword suggestion tools. Analyze metrics such as keyword difficulty, search traffic, and word usage factors.
- Create customizable reports with audits, rankings, links, and traffic insights.
SEO PowerSuite vs Semrush
SEO PowerSuite is a downloadable desktop software whereas Semrush is a cloud-based platform.
Semrush provides more in-depth competitor analysis features like keyword research, traffic analysis, and PPC tools.
On the other hand, SEO PowerSuite has an edge with website page audit checks and data-based recommendations.
SEO PowerSuite requires an annual license, but the software is less expensive than a comparable Semrush plan over the course of a year.
You can also consider SEO PowerSuite as a free Semrush alternative. Each SEO tool in the suite is available for free with some limited, yet useful features.
For example, you can check keyword rankings, perform site audits for up to 500 URLs, and check up to 1,100 backlinks.
But, you'll need a paid license to save your data, increase usage limits, and unlock many of the reporting options.
Pros & Cons
- Very customizable all-in-one SEO software suite.
- Track unlimited keyword rankings across search engines.
- Comprehensive site audit and on-page optimization tools.
- Able to use some features and view saved data offline.
- The free version lets you try many of the major features.
- Complex user interface and feature learning curve.
- Have to pay for ongoing search algorithm updates.
- Desktop software that requires downloading to use.
SEO PowerSuite starts at $299 per year for full access to the software suite.
While the bundle offers savings, you can purchase the four SEO tools separately.
SEO PowerSuite Offer: Free Version with Limited Features
Ahrefs is a top all-in-one SEO toolkit for competitive analysis insights.
The SEO software includes a keyword explorer, website and backlink analysis tools, site audits, and a rank tracker.
- One of the largest databases for keyword and backlink research. Explore metrics like keyword difficulty and organic traffic estimates across Google and other search engines like YouTube, Bing, Amazon, and Baidu.
- Gain insight into a website's off-page and competitor-related metrics. Check referring domains and backlinks as well as internal and external links. Analyze link anchor text distribution, organic traffic to pages, and organic search rankings.
- Solid technical SEO audit tool that checks your website for 100+ pre-defined SEO issues. Get a site health score with recommendations on how to fix issues.
- Reliable rank tracking tool with the option to upgrade for daily rank updates. See position history and compare competitors' rankings side-by-side. View SERP features and organize keywords with tags and filtering options.
- Export data as CSV or Excel files for SEO reports.
Ahrefs vs Semrush
Ahrefs is a top Semrush alternative for competitive domain insights.
Identify competitor organic traffic estimates, backlinks, research profitable keywords, and content topic ideas.
Ahrefs also provides keyword research data for a variety of search engines. Semrush only provides data for Google.
However, Semrush offers daily rank tracking as part of all plans (this is an add-on upgrade with Ahrefs). You also get detailed data for both SEO & PPC advertising as well as tools for writing SEO content and building custom white-label reports.
Pros & Cons
- Largest database of competitor domain research metrics.
- Extensive backlink, keyword analysis, and organic traffic data.
- Great for finding backlinks opportunities and keyword research.
- See search traffic estimates for your competitors' pages and key phrases.
- Detailed site audit to check for technical issues and opportunities.
- Free account to audit your site and see its backlinks and ranking trends.
- Higher starting price than some other SEO tools.
- Extra cost to upgrade rank tracker for daily updates.
- No report builder or templates, only export options.
- Lack of on-page content optimization features.
Ahrefs starts at $99/mo or $82/mo with annual billing (a savings of 2 months free).
Ahrefs Offer: 7-Day Trial for $7
4. Moz Pro
Moz Pro is a reputable all-in-one SEO toolset. The platform includes tools for keyword research, competitor analysis, website audits, and reporting.
- Intuitive interface for researching new keywords, relevant questions asked online, and backlink opportunities.
- Save keyword lists to organize your keyword and content strategy.
- Track local and national searches and get a high-level picture of how you rank with Moz's Search Visibility score.
- Crawl and audit websites for potential issues and get suggestions for fixes. Keep track of new and recurring issues and receive alerts for any new issues.
- Customizable reports and templates with drag-and-drop modules.
Moz Pro vs Semrush
Moz Pro is a reputable Semrush competitor offering many similar SEO features.
Moz includes position tracking, competitor insights, keyword research tools, site audits, and reports.
Generous crawl limits are also provided for auditing large websites.
You also get data from Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Semrush only provides data from Google Search.
On the flip side, Semrush includes more extensive data for SEO & PPC. This includes more accurate backlink metrics, unique data visuals, and in-depth audit tools.
Pros & Cons
- User-friendly interface for finding SEO opportunities.
- Solid feature for comparing website link profiles.
- Reliable SEO site audit software with convenient alerts.
- Nice high-level reporting for marketing executives.
- Visually appealing and customizable report templates.
- Lack of keyword data for lower search volume terms.
- Not as in-depth as other all-in-one software.
- A bit expensive for the current feature set.
Moz Pro plans start at $99/mo or $79/mo with yearly billing.
Moz Pro Offer: 30-Day Free Trial
5. Surfer SEO
Surfer is a powerful on-page SEO software for optimizing your content to rank higher.
The SEO software analyzes competing pages for 500+ factors.
Based on the analysis, Surfer provides guidelines to optimize your content for your targeted keywords.
Other tools within the platform include keyword research, a content planner, a SERP analyzer, and site audits.
- Enter a target keyword and Surfer SEO will reverse-engineer Google's SERP results. Get suggestions on related terms, questions, headings, word count, images, and more. Based on the results, Surfer provides a page score and content guidelines to rank better.
- Based on a target keyword, the content planner surfaces the most relevant topic ideas and related terms for your content. Create an organized set of content for your site aligned with your niche and what's searched on Google.
- Find new keyword opportunities and get estimated monthly search volumes.
- Copy-paste content between the Surfer content editor, Google Docs, and WordPress for a seamless content editing experience.
- Create super SEO-optimized content. Surfer SEO's NLP (natural language processing) technology and insights will help you get ahead of your competition.
Surfer vs Semrush
I use both SEO tools for different reasons. I believe Surfer is the best Semrush alternative for data-driven content optimization and ranking higher on Google.
Compared to Semrush, Surfer is more advanced for optimizing individual web pages and understanding related phrases to use based on top-ranking sites.
Surfer is an invaluable tool for content marketers, bloggers, and SEO professionals.
The on-page optimization software also includes tools for content planning, keyword research, page audits, and a Google SERP analyzer.
On the other hand, Semrush offers more complete keyword analysis tools, a rank tracker, extra off-page data, and richer reporting.
Both SEO platforms include features that complement each other well. I tend to use Semrush for competitor research and Surfer for content optimization.
Pros & Cons
- One of the best tools for SEO-optimizing content.
- Evaluates content based on 500+ factors.
- A range of useful content auditing features.
- The user interface is clean and easy to use.
- Optimize content written in a variety of languages.
- Doc editor offers smooth copy-paste with WordPress.
- The keyword research tool is pretty basic.
- Surfer does not provide much backlink data.
- Takes time to learn and understand all features.
Surfer plans start at $59/month or $49/month with yearly billing and savings of 17% off.
The Pro plan gives you access to Surfer's NLP keyword suggestions and capabilities for optimizing your content.
Surfer Offer: 7-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Mangools is a beginner-friendly SEO toolkit with keyword research, search engine results page (SERP) analysis, backlink insights, rank tracking, and basic reporting.
- Mangool's keyword research tool is useful for finding low-difficulty long-tail keywords. See related metrics like search volume, keyword difficulty, backlink profiles, and CPC numbers.
- Basic rank position tracking tool with daily ranking updates. The clean user interface makes it easy to check ranking increases and decreases. The rank tracker includes filtering options, simple reporting, link sharing, and alert capabilities.
- A SERP analysis tool for analyzing competitor sites in the search results. Check a domain's backlink strength for a specific search query result. Uncover SERP features such as any rich snippets displayed for your chosen keyword and search location.
- Backlinks analysis and site profiler tools to scan your website and competitors. Discover backlinks, authority metrics like citation flow & trust flow, and top traffic-driving pages.
Mangools vs Semrush
Mangools offers an appealing interface design and a popular keyword tool called KWFinder for finding low-competition terms.
You also get a daily keyword tracker with simple reporting and high-level competitor insights.
Mangools is a popular Semrush alternative for smaller projects or campaigns. But, it lacks a variety of features that Semrush offers. This includes on-page SEO tools, content analysis features, website audits, and report building.
Pros & Cons
- A beginner-friendly SEO tool suite.
- Simple and straightforward interface design.
- Quickly find low-difficulty keywords to target.
- Keyword search volumes with historical data.
- Feature for saving keyword lists during research.
- Insight into domain authority metrics of websites.
- Lacks features to track many competitors.
- Keyword database is not as large as leading tools.
Mangools plans start at $49/mo with options to save up to 40% with annual subscriptions.
Mangools Offer: 10-Day Free Trial
Serpstat is an all-in-one SEM platform that includes over 30 tools for marketing, SEO, and Google Ads PPC.
Features include site audits, competition analysis, backlink checking, keyword research, and rank tracking.
- Comprehensive keyword research data. View search volume and competition strength. Find keywords opportunities by searching competitor web pages. Check out related terms and questions in an easy-to-scan interface.
- Dependable rank tracker tool with daily ranking updates. Check keyword SERP features and historical position data. Get insights into traffic distribution among website domains and market share fluctuations. Group keywords with tags.
- The site audit tool detects and categorizes website issues based on low, middle, and high priority. The tool provides a website optimization score and lets you track site changes over time.
- Competitor research tools with robust backlink data. Gain insight into the top websites in a niche. View data on top-performing competitor pages, their keyword rankings, and estimated search traffic. Check their progress over time.
- Schedule automatic daily, weekly, or monthly reports. You can also create notifications about changes in projects.
Serpstat vs Semrush
As a Semrush competitor, Serpstat offers SEO research tools and keyword tracking at a lower price. But, the platform includes fewer major features, research data, and visuals than Semrush.
However, Serpstat is a versatile Semrush alternative with all-in-one SEO features. The SEO platform offers unique visuals for comparing competitors and analyzing keyword rankings.
Currently, Semrush offers a larger backlink database, backlink gap analysis features, and a more advanced interface with filtering options.
Pros & Cons
- Complete SEO software with many tools for the price.
- Large database for researching long-tail, low-volume keywords.
- Convenient side-by-side visuals for analyzing competitors.
- Competitor analysis for finding keyword ranking opportunities.
- See traffic share of tracked phrases for your competitors' sites.
- Good price-per-keyword for tracking a high volume of words.
- Can be slow to process large amounts of data.
- Takes some time to understand all the options.
Serpstat monthly plans begin at $69/mo with longer-term plan discounts available.
Serpstat Offer: Free Account with Basic Tool Access
8. Raven Tools
Raven Tools is an SEM & SEO reporting platform with features and tools for competitor research, rank tracking, backlink analysis, site audits, and reporting.
- Manage tasks related to SEO, PPC, social, email, and call tracking.
- Compare competitors' SEO and social metrics side-by-side.
- Track keywords and choose how often to check rankings.
- Integrate with 30+ platforms for more marketing data to report on.
- User-friendly report builder and good-looking white-label reports.
Raven Tools vs Semrush
But, Raven Tools is a reliable Semrush alternative for an SEO platform with easy-to-use SEO reporting software, marketing reports, and dashboards.
Raven Tools includes an intuitive drag-and-drop builder for creating marketing reports.
There are also over 30 platform integrations, which is more than what Semrush offers.
Pros & Cons
- Clean user interface with simple navigation.
- Appealing automated white-label marketing reports.
- User-friendly report builder with custom widgets.
- A high number of optional platform integrations for more data.
- Manage most of your digital marketing efforts in one place.
- Data and rankings are sometimes inaccurate.
- Lacks some of the more in-depth SEO data.
Raven Tools monthly plans begin at $49/mo or $39/mo with yearly billing.
Raven Tools Offer: 7-Day Free Trial
SpyFu is a set of competitor insight tools for SEO and Google Ads.
You can conduct keyword research, spy on your competitors, check backlinks, track rankings, and create reports.
- Find new keyword opportunities to target with SEO and PPC ads. You can enter a seed keyword or a competitor site to get suggestions.
- Gain insight from various keyword metrics. View ranking difficulty, monthly searches, and cost per click estimates. Discover related words and do keyword SERP analysis.
- Track rankings and see position history. Get weekly ranking updates and keyword grouping options for organizing data.
- Analyze your competitors' ranking history, top pages, keywords, and backlinks. Check competing domains for keyword ranking changes.
- Create detailed custom SEO and PPC reports.
SpyFu vs Semrush
Yet, if you're running Google Ad campaigns, you might find SpyFu to be an effective Semrush alternative.
The tools let you analyze paid keyword data and competitors combined with a rank tracker for an affordable price.
Pros & Cons
- User-friendly software for researching SEO & PPC keywords.
- An affordable way to get search engine marketing (SEM) data.
- Helpful competitive intelligence tools and visuals for the cost.
- The free account includes unlimited searches but limits search results.
- Data estimates are sometimes inaccurate.
- Lack of website data for specific areas.
SpyFu monthly plans begin at $39/mo or $33/mo with yearly billing.
SpyFu Offer: Free Account with Limited Tool Access
Semrush Alternative Comparison Table
|SE Ranking||Affordable All-In-One SEO Platform|
|SEO PowerSuite||Customizable Desktop SEO Tools|
|Ahrefs||Extensive Competitor Analysis Tools|
|Moz Pro||Reputable SEO Reporting Software|
|Surfer SEO||Content Optimization Software|
|Mangools||Beginner-Friendly SEO Toolset|
|Serpstat||Versatile All-In-One SEO Toolkit|
|Raven Tools||All-In-One SEO Reporting Tools|
|SpyFu||SEM Competitive Research Tools|
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Free Semrush Alternatives?
You can use Google's free tools as limited Semrush alternatives.
While not as extensive as paid tools, you can use these free tools for basic keyword research, traffic analysis, and checking rankings.
Google Keyword Planner is a free keyword research tool you can use to find profitable keyword ideas based on a primary keyword or website URL.
The keyword data is helpful for gauging search demand and value for the suggested terms.
You can view search volume ranges for suggested keywords, historical search data, and PPC bid estimates for Google Adwords.
Google Analytics is a free web and SEO analytics tool you can use to uncover website traffic sources and visitor site engagement.
Use this free tool to better understand your site's content performance.
Note: Google Analytics only lets you track traffic data for sites that have its tracking code in place.
Google Search Console is another free SEO tool you can use to manage and understand your Google search presence.
Search Console gives you insight into keyword rankings, clicks, and impressions detected by Google.
Yet, SEO platforms like Semrush offer many extra capabilities. Examples include tracking specific rankings, location-specific tracking, daily updates, and reporting tools.
If you're serious about SEO, your best bet is to use Google's free tools with an SEO platform for the most insight.
How Much Does Semrush Cost?
Semrush offers three paid plans. This includes the Pro, Guru, and Business plans. Monthly and annual plans are available. Pay annually to get a discount of up to 17% off.
Learn more about Semrush pricing plans here.
The Pro plan starts at $119.95 per month or $99.95 per month with annual billing. This plan is best for freelancers, startups, and in-house marketers.
The Guru plan starts at $229.95 per month or $191.62 per month with annual billing. This plan is best for SMBs and growing digital marketing agencies.
The Business plan starts at $449.95 per month or $374.95 per month with annual billing. This plan is best for marketing agencies, e-commerce sites, and large enterprise businesses.
You can also contact Semrush support to request a custom plan if you need more than the fixed plans provide.
Does Semrush Offer a Free Trial?
Yes, Semrush offers a 7-day free trial of its Pro & Guru plans.
Final Thoughts on Semrush Alternatives
While Semrush is an industry leader packed with helpful marketing tools, it can be expensive for small businesses.
The SEO software tools featured above are excellent Semrush alternatives. They offer many similar features at lower prices.
My Favorite Semrush Alternatives:
- SE Ranking – Best low-cost Semrush alternative for all-in-one SEO tools.
- Surfer – Best Semrush alternative for optimizing content to rank higher.
- SEO PowerSuite – Best free Semrush alternative for research and audits.
I hope this post helped you find the best alternative to Semrush for your needs.
Looking for SEO services? Check out these top affordable SEO packages.
More Posts About SEO Software Tools:
- Semrush Review (2022)
- Semrush Pricing (2022)
- Semrush vs SE Ranking
- Semrush vs Ahrefs
- SE Ranking vs SEO PowerSuite
- Best All-In-One SEO Software
- Best Rank Tracking Software
- Best Daily Rank Tracking Software
- Best Local SEO Software
- Best SEO Reporting Software
- Best SEO Audit Software
- Best Keyword Research Software
- Best SEO Content Writing Software
- Best Small Business SEO Software
- Best SEO Automation Software
- Best On-Page SEO Checkers
- Best Free SEO Software