Updated on May 16th, 2022
Blog posts are a fantastic way to improve your brand's online visibility. However, only a selected number of blogs make their way onto Google's first page. If you want to be one of them, you should follow certain SEO techniques to write search-friendly blogs.
In this article, we'll show you how to write SEO-friendly blog posts to increase your ranking potential and organic traffic in 2022 with 7 easy-to-follow methods.
7 Tips for Writing SEO-Friendly Blog Posts
Here are 7 actionable tips for writing an SEO-friendly blog post:
1. Use Your Keywords Wisely
Keywords are the foundation of writing blog posts for search engine optimization. They're what help readers find what they're looking for, which you can then use for future posts.
Before you start writing, do a bit of keyword research to figure out which set of words your target audience frequently uses.
Have a list of primary keywords and secondary keywords, and try to naturally incorporate keywords into your content and avoid keyword stuffing.
2. Utilize Keyword Research Tools
To help with your research, make use of leading keyword research tools such as:
- Google Keyword Planner (free) – Part of Google Ads but useful for keyword data.
- Keyword Surfer (free) – Free chrome extension provided by Surfer SEO.
- Surfer SEO (paid) – Uncover words and phrases to use based on 500+ factors.
- Semrush Keyword Magic Tool (paid) – Leading keyword research database.
- Ahrefs Keyword Explorer (paid) – Another popular keyword research tool.
- AnswerThePublic (freemium) – Autocomplete data from search engines.
- Google Trends (free) – Explore popular keywords searched on Google.
These tools generate hundreds of relevant long-tail and short-tail keywords for just about any topic, which can help you optimize your blog posts for the right terms.
These tools can help you find the best long-tail and low-volume keyword opportunities, along with metrics on keyword search volume and how difficult a keyword is to rank based on the competition.
3. Make Your Blog Posts Skimmable
Here's the thing: most blog readers have short attention spans.
For this reason, you should always keep your paragraphs short and laser-focused.
Make use of bulleted points, bold, and italics to emphasize important points. Create intriguing and informative headlines that'll hook the reader from the first sentence.
4. Write High-Quality Content
Aim to produce high-quality content. A well-optimized blog post is organized for search engine crawlers and includes headings and subheadings related to the topic.
Use short sentences, but add a bit of variety to their lengths through writing naturally.
Most importantly, optimized blog posts add value to the topics you're writing about and more so than the competing posts found on search engine results pages (SERPs).
Related: Surfer SEO Review (2022)
5. Link to Helpful Pages & High-Authority Sites
Adding internal and external links to pages on your site and high-authority websites helps improve the usefulness of your content and signals to search engines like Google that you've done your research.
Internal links also increase the potential of better rankings for your content and can enhance the user experience by providing additional resources and site navigation.
6. Increase Your Word Count
Make sure your blog posts have a minimum word count of 300 words.
Long-form content tends to rank better on Google's search engine due to its completeness in covering a topic and subtopics.
But keep in mind that quality is better than quantity. If you can answer a specific question in 300 words or less, do so.
However, to make your blog content more interesting, consider adding extra information relevant to the topic until you reach at least 500-600 words.
7. Use Proper Meta Descriptions
If you're not adding meta descriptions to your posts, you're not giving it the potential exposure it deserves. While Google Search often changes meta descriptions based on the content found on a page or post, it's still a good idea to add a custom description.
Meta descriptions give readers a brief description of your blog post. Keep it short but compelling; your meta descriptions should stand out from other similar-topic posts.
In addition, incorporate your main keyword in your blog post's meta description and do your best to describe the page topic to encourage Google to use your description.
There you have it – 7 actionable tips on how to write SEO-friendly blog posts to rank higher in search results and improve your website's organic traffic potential.
By employing these strategies, you're writing blogs your readers and Google favor. With a bit of consistency and dedication, more of your blog posts will rank on the first page of Google before you know it.
More SEO Resources:
- Top Content Writing Tools for SEO
- 7 Blogging Tips for Small Business
- 10 SEO Content Writing Tips
- How to SEO-Optimize Content
- What is SEO Content Writing?
- Surfer SEO Review (2022)
- Affordable SEO Packages
SEO Software Guides:
- Best All-In-One SEO Software
- Best Rank Tracking Software
- Best Keyword Research Software
- Best SEO Reporting Software
- Best Local SEO Software
- Best SEO Audit Software
- Best SEO Writing Software
- Best SEO Automation Software
- Best On-Page SEO Checkers
- Best Small Business SEO Software
- Best Semrush Alternatives
- Best Free SEO Software Tools